Monday, April 12, 2010

Reading Insanity

I like to read. In fact, in a good way, I take pride in the fact that I read widely. I read a study once that said the average American (after finishing school) reads less than 2 books a year. But somehow I've gotten myself into a mess. Check it out.

On my bedside table:
  • Parenting with Love and Logic
  • India's Unending Journey, by Tully
  • Bakht Singh of India
  • Complications, by A. Gwande
  • Nehru, by Tharoor
  • And at least 5 past issues of Wired magazine, 3 issues of Outlook Traveller magazine
On my Kindle:
  • The First 90 Days, by Watkins
  • Leadership with Cultural Intelligence, by Livermore
  • And a bunch of free PDF books, mostly by J. Piper
On my desk at work:
  • In Spite of the Gods: The Strange Rise of Modern India, by Luce (re-readig this; best book on India I've read...ever)
  • The Geography of Thought: How Asians and Westerners Think Differently and Why, by Nisbett
  • Speaking of India: Bridging the Communication Gap when Working with Indians, by Storti
  • Change Across Cultures, by Bradshaw
  • Just Courage, by Haugen
  • And five other "leadership" books which I want to skim
Yikes! Time to focus and try to finish a few before starting any more. But it does reveal the main themes of my life right now: parenting, cross-cultural, and leadership issues.

(originally published on Monday, April 12, 2010 as "Reading Insanity" at http://spottsfamily.blogspot.com/2010/04/reading-insanity.html)

No comments: